Sunday, 14 July 2013

On the Beach

An Adventure on the Beach
We stayed local today to give us time to rest, but even that can be an adventure.
There is a Provincial Park right near our cottage that has a board walk right down to the beach that can handle a wheelchair.  So, we went! At first we went with my power chair but then we discovered at the end of the boardwalk there were six steps!!!
So, Dad and I went back to the cottage to get my manual which is lighter and can go places the power one can't.
Dad heaved me and my manual (Clementine), through the sand out to where it was wetter and firmer.
Mush.
We brought a special seat for me that helps me sit on the ground and I sat right at the water's edge.
If you click on this picture to enlarge it, you will see a blue heron flying in the tip left.
Actually all four of us have come on this vacation together!

I got to experience the tide coming in as bit my bit I got wetter and wetter! It was great, but seaweed sloshing up on my feet tickles. But a sand dollar washed up too so that was pretty exciting.
Mom and I enjoyed the beach while waiting for Dad and Monica to get back. Lighthouses seem to be everywhere out here. A red light means entry to a harbour and white light is at sea.

I (Anna-Lee) had a bit of adventure there too. A nice lady showed me a hermit crab she found on the beach. She put the shell in my hand and the crab came out.
Here comes the hermit crab!!!
I jumped and dropped him, but he was fine. Dad put him back in the ocean.


When we went swimming I found a real big green crab just walking on the bottom of the ocean at my feet! It was much bigger than the one at the touch pool in New Brunswick. And I found another hermit crab! I found a big lobster claw on the beach too. The ocean sure is different. I also discovered salt water does not taste good.
The water was cold but nothing like the Bay of Fundy. This is Malpeque Bay which is part of the Gulf of St  Lawrence.
I just liked this one.
Goodnight from Darnley, P.E.I. The sunset from our cottage.





 

2 comments:

  1. Caught up again - I am enjoying your tales and photos to match - we have camped on Malpeque Bay! Glad to see ALL got wet in the ocean water!! Tough slog to get to the edge but SO worth it - lovely photos! Mrs. Laird/Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful adventure continues, and thank you for describing it so well - the photos also enhance your days. The sitting seat looks great Monica. I hope that you hear the roll of the water from your cottage.
    I am going to Rosseau with Wendy today, returning next Monday, so will read your blogs upon my return. I don't think Wendy will have the computer up there this year. Aunty Michelle will show Poppa the blogs. love love love and then MORE love.

    ReplyDelete